Samtskhe-Javakheti is a region in the southern part of central Georgia, separated by ridges from wet western Georgia.
Borjomi canyon town Borjomi
Safari Monastery The first temple on this site (Assumption Church) was built in the 10th century under unclear circumstances. It is preserved to this day and looks like a simple choral church with a gable roof of stone slabs. The monastery itself appeared already in the Mongol era, when the principality of Samtskhe became almost independent.
Akhaltsikhe Rabat fortress XVI-XVIII centuries. In the south of Georgia, in the city of Akhaltsikhe, in the territory of the historical region, the Turkish fortress began to be built by the rulers of Meskhetia from the Djakeli clan who converted to Islam at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. The city of Akhaltsikhe (Lomcia) was taken by Ottoman troops in 1578 and half a century later became the center of Akhaltsikhe pashalyk. The famous military historian V. Potto, in the fourth volume of his book “Caucasian War”, dedicated to the Russian-Turkish war of 1828-1829.
Khertvisi is one of the oldest and best-preserved fortresses of the Georgian Middle Ages. Located in the province of Samtskhe-Javakheti, in southern Georgia. The chronicler Leonti Mroveli mentions Khertvisi – which he considers one of the first cities of Georgia – in connection with the campaigns of Alexander the Great (IV century BC)]. In the era of the early Middle Ages, the city fell into decay, and only in the 10th-11th centuries did the newly rebuilt fortress grow to the scale of the city and became the center of the Meskheti region.
Vardzia is a cave monastic complex of the XII-XIII centuries in southern Georgia, in Javakheti. An outstanding monument of medieval Georgian architecture. Located in the Aspindza region of Samtskhe-Javakheti, in the valley of the Kura River (Mtkvari), about 100 km south of the city of Borjomi, near the village of the same name.
Over 900 meters along the left bank of the Kura, up to 600 rooms were carved in the sheer tuff wall of Mount Erusheti (Medvezhye): churches, chapels, living cells, storerooms, baths, refectory, treasuries, and libraries. The premises of the complex go 50 meters deep into the rock and rise to a height of eight floors. Preserved secret passages linking the premises, the remnants of the water supply and irrigation system.
Paravani Lake in the province of Samtskhe-Javakheti in southern Georgia, is located on the territory of the Ninotsminda municipality, between the Javakheti and Samsarskie ridges. It is the largest lake in the country. The lake is located at an altitude of 2073 meters above sea level and has an area of 37.5 km². Its maximum and average depths are 3.3 and 2.2 m, respectively. The volume of the lake is 91 million cubic meters of water. The water level is the highest in October and November, and the lowest in May and June. In winter, the lake freezes and the thickness of the ice cover can reach 73 cm.
It feeds through the rivers of Shaor, Sabadostskali and Rodionovskiskali, as well as through groundwater. The Paravani River flows out of the lake – the right tributary of the Kura River.